Funds Availability Policy Disclosure
This Disclosure describes your ability to withdraw funds at FAIRWINDS Credit Union. It only applies to the availability of funds in transaction accounts. The Credit Union reserves the right to delay the availability of funds deposited to accounts that are not transaction accounts for periods longer than those disclosed in this policy. Please ask us if you have a question about which accounts are affected by this policy.
1. GENERAL POLICY — Our policy is to delay the availability of funds from your cash and check deposits. During the delay, you may not withdraw the funds in cash and we will not use the funds to pay checks that you have written.
2. DETERMINING THE AVAILABILITY OF A DEPOSIT — When we delay the availability of a deposit the length of the delay is determined by counting the business days from the day of your deposit. Every day is a business day except Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays. If you make a deposit before the close of business on a business day that we are open, we will consider that day to be the day of your deposit. However we will consider deposits made after the close of business. or on a day that we are not open as deposited on the next business day we are open.
If you make a deposit to an ATM that we own or operate before 12:00 p.m. on a business day that we are open, we will consider that day to be the day of your deposit. However we will consider deposits to an ATM that we own or operate made after 12:00 p.m. or on a day that we are not open as deposited on the next business day we are open.
The length of the delay varies depending on the type of deposit and is explained below.
3. SAME-DAY AVAILABILITY — Funds from electronic direct deposits to your account will be available on the same business day that we receive the deposit.
4. NEXT-DAY AVAILABILITY — Funds from the following deposits are available by the first business day after the day of your deposit:
- U.S. Treasury checks that are payable to you.
- Wire transfers.
- Checks drawn on Fairwinds Credit Union.
5. NEXT-DAY AVAILABILITY FOR CERTAIN DEPOSITS MADE IN PERSON — Funds from the following deposits are available by the first business day after the day we receive your deposit, if you make the deposit in person to one of our employees:
- State and local government checks that are payable to you.
- Cashier’s, certified, and teller’s checks that are payable to you.
- Federal Reserve Bank checks, Federal Home Loan Bank checks, and postal money orders, if these items are payable to you.
If you do not make your deposit in person to one of our employees (for example, if you mail the deposit), funds from these deposits will be available by the second business day after the day we receive your deposit.
6. AVAILABILITY OF OTHER CHECK DEPOSITS — The first $100.00 from a deposit of checks (other than those described above) will be available by the first business day after the day of your deposit. The remaining funds will be available by the second business day after the day of your deposit. For example, if you deposit a check (other than those described above) of $700.00 on a Monday, $100.00 of the deposit will be available by Tuesday. The remaining $600.00 will be available by Wednesday.
7. CASH WITHDRAWAL LIMITATION — We place certain limitations on withdrawals in cash. In general, $100.00 of a deposit is available for withdrawal in cash by the first business day after the day of deposit. In addition, a total of $400.00 of other funds becoming available on a given day will be available for withdrawal in cash at or after 5:00 p.m. that day. Any remaining funds will be available for withdrawal in cash by the following business day.
8. HOLDS ON OTHER FUNDS — If we cash a check for you that is drawn on another financial institution, we may withhold the availability of a corresponding amount of funds that are already in your account. Those funds will be available at the time funds from the check we cashed would have been available if you had deposited it. If we accept for deposit a check that is drawn on another financial institution, we may make funds from the deposit available for withdrawal immediately but delay your availability to withdraw a corresponding amount of funds that you have on deposit in another account with us. The funds in the other account would then not be available for withdrawal until the time periods that are described elsewhere in this Disclosure for the type of check that you deposited.
9. LONGER DELAYS MAY APPLY — We may delay your ability to withdraw funds deposited by check into your account an additional number of days for these reasons:
- We believe a check you deposit will not be paid.
- You deposit checks totaling more than $5,000.00 on any one (1) day.
- You deposit a check that has been returned unpaid.
- You have overdrawn your account repeatedly in the last six (6) months.
- There is an emergency, such as failure of communications or computer equipment.
We will notify you if we delay your ability to withdraw funds for any of these reasons and we will tell you when the funds will be available. They will generally be available no later than the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.
10. SPECIAL RULES FOR NEW ACCOUNTS — If you are a new member, the following special rules will apply during the first 30 days your account is open.
Funds from electronic direct deposits to your account will be available on the day we receive the deposit. Funds from deposits of cash, wire transfers, and the first $5,000.00 of a day’s total deposits of cashier’s, certified, teller’s, traveler’s, and federal, state, and local government checks will be available on the next business day after the day of your deposit if the deposit meets certain conditions. For example, the checks must be payable to you. The excess over $5,000.00 will be available on the ninth business day after the day of your deposit. If your deposit of these checks (other than a U.S. Treasury check) is not made in person to one of our employees, the first $5,000.00 will not be available until the second business day after the day of your deposit. Funds from all other check deposits will be available on the seventh calendar day after the day of your deposit.
11. DEPOSITS AT NONPROPRIETARY ATMS — Funds from any deposits (cash or checks) made at automated teller machines (ATMs) we do not own or operate will not be available until the fifth business day after the date of your deposit. This rule does not apply at ATMs that we own or operate. All ATMs that we own or operate are identified as our machines.
12. FOREIGN CHECKS — Checks drawn on financial institutions located outside the U.S. (foreign checks) cannot be processed the same as checks drawn on U.S. financial institutions. Foreign checks are exempt from the policies outlined in this Disclosure. Generally, the availability of funds for deposits of foreign checks will be delayed for the time it takes us to collect the funds from the financial institutions upon which it is drawn.
What is a Routing Number?
FAIRWINDS' routing number (263181368) is used to identify FAIRWINDS Credit Union from other financial institutions and in no way identifies you or your accounts to others.
A routing transit number (RTN) is a nine digit bank code, used in the United States, to facilitate the sorting, bundling, and shipment of paper checks back to the drawer's (check writer's) account.
The RTN is also used by Federal Reserve Banks to process Fedwire funds transfers, and by the Automated Clearing House (ACH) to process direct deposits, bill payments, and other such automated transfers.
What can I do with my Relationship Rewards points?
Relationship Rewards provide you the opportunity to enjoy special member benefits including:
- Buying down the interest rate on a loan.
- Increasing your rate on a new CD.
- Reducing service charges on additional products and services.
How do I send or receive a wire?
To send a wire from FAIRWINDS, please provide the following:
- Name, address and routing number of financial institution receiving the wire
- Account number for the receiving account
- Name and address of receiving account holder
There is a $20.00 service charge for an outgoing domestic wire from a personal account and a $25.00 service charge for an outgoing wire from a business account.
To receive a wire at the credit union, you will need to provide the following:
- FAIRWINDS routing number (263-181-368)
- Name of account holder
- FAIRWINDS account number to receive the funds
There is a $10.00 service charge for an incoming domestic wire to a personal account and $15.00 service charge for an incoming wire to a business account.
*Please verify this information with the receiving financial institution as there may be an intermediary financial instititution involved.
When should I expect my 5498-ESA tax forms?
5498-ESA tax forms will be mailed by April 30th for all Coverdell Educational Savings Account owners who made contributions and/or rollovers into their ESA's in 2011.
5498 and 5498-SA tax forms will be mailed in mid-May for all Traditional, SEP, and Roth IRA owners and Health Savings Account owners who made contributions and/or rollovers into their IRA's and HSA's in 2011.
For questions regarding the 5498 forms please call Member Services at 407-277-5045 or visit your local branch.
When should I expect my tax forms?
FAIRWINDS mails 1099-INT and 1098 tax forms at the end of January. However, if you have e-Statements, these tax forms are available online right now!
Learn more here.
Members will only receive a 1099-INT form if the aggregate earnings amongst the accounts they are tax reported for (the primary owner) have earned at least $10 in interest.
These accounts include:
Savings, checking, money market, certificates of deposit, and US Bonds Redeemed, but do not include IRA accounts. If members have not earned at least $10 in interest, they will not receive a 1099-INT form.
Members will only receive a 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement if they paid $600 or more in interest on their mortgage.
FAIRWINDS mails 1099-R, 1099-Q, 1099-SA, and FMV/RMD statements to members by January 31st each year. We also mail 5498, 5498-SA, and 5498 ESA forms to members by the end of May.
Important information for all MasterCard® and VISA® credit and debit card holders.
You may have seen news stories recently about a potential data breach with MasterCard® and VISA® through a third-party payment processor. While there is no indication that any FAIRWINDS members have been impacted by this event, it is an opportunity to remind all consumers about the importance of being diligent, safeguarding your personal information and monitoring your accounts on a regular basis to minimize the effects of fraud.
Take the few extra steps to proactively protect your accounts. If you believe your credit or debit card information is at risk or unauthorized transactions have posted to your account, contact your financial institution immediately. In addition, you may want to consider looking into an identity theft alert program to keep you informed of activity on your accounts. There are many reputable programs available, including ID Secure. Click here to learn more.
There is an active texting scam occurring in the Central Florida area.
People are receiving a text at random stating their "card has been deactivated." This is a Scam!
Always remember, FAIRWINDS will never ask members to provide confidential information, such as debit or credit card numbers, PINs or Social Security numbers via email, text messages, direct mail or over the phone.
If you feel you are the victim of account fraud or identify theft, act immediately. This should help minimize the damage to your personal accounts and credit rating. Click here to learn more.
What are the 2013 IRA and HSA contribution limits?
Traditional and Roth IRA owners under age 50 may contribute up to $5,500 toward tax year 2013. A $1,000 catch up contribution may be added for Traditional and Roth IRA owners age 50 and over.
2013 SEP contribution limits have increased to a maximum of $51,000 or 25% of the employee's compensation, whichever is less.
HSA owners under age 55 with an individual HDHP (self coverage only) may contribute up to $3,250 toward tax year 2013. HSA owners under age 55 with a family HDHP may contribute up to $6,450 toward tax year 2013. A $1,000 catch up contribution may be added for HSA owners age 55 and over.
When will I receive my 2012 5498 form?
5498, 5498-SA, and 5498-ESA forms report IRA, HSA, and ESA contributions, rollovers, conversions, and fair market value (December 31st balance) information to the IRS and account owners. 5498 and 5498-SA forms are expected to be mailed by Saturday, May 18th.
Please contact Member Services at (407) 277-5045 or visit your local branch if you have questions about your form(s).
How can I make a prior year (2012) contribution to my IRA or HSA?
Eligible prior year (2012) IRA and HSA contributions may be made through the close of business on Monday, April 15th. The IRS requires signed documentation before contributions may be designated for a prior year.
Members can accomplish this by visiting a local branch during business hours or by submitting an e-Signed form through Retirement Central® and click Manage An Account on the left menu.