True to our commitment of socially responsible banking, long-term green initiatives are in place at the credit union to ensure we continually minimize our carbon footprint on the environment! Here are just a few of the ways we are "going green":
- "Go Green" Debit Card: Show your support for the environment when you shop! Sign up for the Go Green Debit card and for each signed transaction you complete (instead of entering your PIN), a contribution will be made to the FAIRWINDS Central Florida Tree Fund to plant trees in the community throughout the year.
As the tree fund grows, we will schedule tree plantings in different areas across Central Florida. Our first tree planting took place on Earth Day, April 22, 2009 at the 18th Street Park in Seminole County, Florida. FAIRWINDS volunteers planted 25 trees and we are looking forward to many future tree plantings!
Remember to sign for all purchases when you use your Go Green debit card and help the Central Florida Tree Fund grow!
- Green @ Work—Through our Green @ Work program, we are always looking for ways to improve our daily operations to have less of an impact on the environment. Here are just a few of the initiatives from the Green @ Work program:
- e-Newsletter - Our monthly newsletter is available in an online-only format.
- Fax machines - Our fax machines were updated to allow faxes sent via email eliminating paper copies.
- Break room/kitchen - All FAIRWINDS branches and departments received ceramic plates and bowls along with silverware to eliminate the need for paper products.
- The FAIRWINDS Green Team—The Green @ Work Program is led by the FAIRWINDS Green Team, a special group of FAIRWINDS crewmembers volunteering their time to help execute and oversee new green initiatives at the credit union.
- Green Branch Certification Program—We are going green one branch at a time through our Green Branch Certification Program. Launched in fall 2008, the Green Team reviews each branch and department at the credit union to ensure they meet Green Policy expectations. We are proud of all our branches and departments for achieving the Green Branch Certification.
- Shred Fest—Our monthly Shred Fest events, providing members of the community a safe way to destroy personal papers and documents, grew in popularity across Central Florida. In 2009, we helped residents safely destroy over 100,000 pounds of personal documents. Our partner, Crown Shredding, recycles 100% of the shredded material, resulting in approximately 76,000 pounds of lumber saved.